Children right’s in the digital world – Webinar
Securing a free and safe internet for children is a key priority for Renew Europe. Therefore, we would like to map out the status quo regarding the position of children online, using data collected from renowned researchers in the field, shed light on and feed into recent policy developments in the area of online child safety.
Among others, we will draw attention to the recently adopted General Comment No. 25 of the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) on children’s rights in relation to the digital environment, EU legislative initiatives such as the DSA, DMA, legislation against child sexual abuse and on AI, as well as a possible future Code of Conduct for Online Companies and the upcoming EU Better internet Strategy.
Furthermore, we would like to discuss best practices from several countries in Europe and beyond. What can we learn from these tools and examples and how could they feed into the upcoming legislation and EU strategy for kids online?
The webinar will be divided in two panels. The first panel will be hosted by MEP Liesje Schreinemacher and the focus will be mainly on the challenges and opportunities related to children as vulnerable consumers on the internet. The second panel will be hosted by MEP Hilde Vautmans and will focus on the fight against online child sexual abuse online.
Panel I – Children in the digital world, between challenges and opportunities (1h30min)
- MEP Liesje Schreinemacher
- Guido Scorza, Board member of the Italian Data Protection Authority
- Baroness Beeban Kidron, founder 5Rights Foundation
- Sonia Livingstone, OBE FBA DPhil, Professor of Social Psychology at the London School of Economics and Political Science and lead drafter, General Comment 25 on Children’s Rights in Relation to the Digital Environment.
- Dr Olga Khazova, Professor at the Moscow School of Social & Economic Sciences (Law Faculty), children’s law expert and former member of the UNCRC, co-coordinator of the UNCRC Working group on the General Comment 25
- Sean Litton, Executive Director at the Tech Coalition
- Ms. June Lowery-Kingston, Head of Unit, Accessibility, Multilingualism, Safer Internet at the European Commission
MEP Adrián Vázquez Lázara (JURI Chair) will share some reflections about his work on child protection online in the JURI Committee.
Panel II – How to boost the EU fight against child sexual abuse in the long-term legislation (1h30min)
- MEP Hilde Vautmans, Co-Chair of the Intergroup on Children’s Rights
- Ms. Cathrin Bauer-Bulst, Head of Unit, Fight against cybercrime and child sexual abuse, European Commission
- Mr. John Shehan, Vice President of the Exploited Children Division (ECD) at US National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC)
- Ms. Signy Arnason, Associate Executive Director, Canadian Centre for Child Protection
- Ms. Arda Gerkens, director of Expertisebureau Online Kindermisbruik (EOKM)
- Tech coalition:
- Ms. Aura Salla, Public Policy Director, Head of EU Affairs, Facebook.
- Match Group (TBC)